At the recent drop in day hosted by Library Services and the Office of Learning Teaching, we had some great conversations with academic staff about their ideas for using the Global Links Room in the Balnaves Multimedia Learning Centre to enhance learning outcomes. And we think they went away with a better understanding of the technology in the room, how to book it and where they can turn for advice. Some also went away with lucky door prizes. Yvonne Maher from the Faculty of Society & Design won the major prize – a copy of Bond University: the first 25 years – Pictured receiving her prize from Wendy Abbott, University Librarian.
While the room is joint use as a study space and for teaching, the primary purpose of the Global Links Room is to facilitate video conference and technology enhanced learning. Booking for these purposes have priority over general bookings.
Some Idea Starters
- Guest lecturer – connect your class with an expert in the field
- Virtual field trip or industry engagement – see the stock exchange, operating theatre, researcher in the field, construction site, or connect with an advertising or film company for a consultation
- Remote classes – gather students out on placements together virtually, or if you travel overseas connect with your class via Skype or a Google hangout
- Board room – Use the room for a mini-conference, meeting or round-table experience
- Collaborative classes – Connect our class to a class in another country for multilingual conversations, debates or presentation.
- Bookings are self-service for general bookings in the short term & mediated for longer term and special requirements.
- ITS need 5 working days notice to support special video conferencing requests
- Access is 24x7 during semester via swipe card between 6pm and 7am
- Laptop connections for HDMI & VGA with Mac adapters available for loan from the Main Library
- Digital TV access includes ABC, Channel 7, Channel 9, Channel 10 & SBS
Help & Advice
- Contact a blended learning designer in the Office of Learning & Teaching to talk about integrating this room’s technology into your class
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org for questions about making bookings and to report problems in the facility
- Search the online service desk for “Global Links Room” for how-to documents about the technology