|Image from Encyclopædia Britannica Image Quest|
Firstly you need to check the domain:
- .gov – government site
- .com – commercial site
- .edu/.ac – educational or research material
- .org – organisation (Note: Not all .org sites are the official sites. Check the “About us” information on the site to make sure.)
- .net – networks, some organisations, Internet Service Providers
Now that you have checked the domain, open the webpage and look closely at the content:
- Authority - Who is the author and can you trust him/her/the organisation?
- Currency - How old is it? When was the site last updated?
- Clarity - Can you understand what the author is saying?
- Objectivity - Can you detect a bias? Is this an objective study or a personal opinion?
- Coverage - Can you find further information linked to this site?
- Audience - Who does the site target? Are you the intended audience?
For more information on this topic see our Evaluating Websites Guide.