Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Moustache sightings in Library

So. You may or may not have seen my brand new moustache, depending on the prevailing lighting conditions.

You may even have felt a slight twinge of pity at my as yet unfinished production, or possibly an urge to wipe the coffee stain off my upper lip.

You might even have noticed other men here in Information Services at Bond, or in the world at large, boldly growing where no growth has grown before.

What's it all about I hear you ask?

Well, it's Movember. For the month of Movember, previously clean-cut gentlemen such as myself (attempt to) grow a mo, to raise money and awareness for a worthy cause.

The cause: men's health, in particular male depression, and prostate cancer. Depression affects 1 in 6 of us men, often goes untreated, and is a leading risk factor for suicide. But if recognised it can be treated. Last year as many men died from prostate cancer in Australia as women died from breast cancer. But, when diagnosed and treated early and effectively, prostate cancer has a cure rate of over 90%. Information is readily available: try the beyondblue website, or the Prostate Cancer Foundation of Australia.

So, having possibly raised a little bit of collective awareness, there's also the raising funds part of the deal. Take another look at the picture above. You might pity me, admire my courage, or be really impressed by my new-found ruggedness. Anything's possible. Or you might just think it's a cause worth giving to. You can donate here, or just say hello when you see me in the library.

For my part, I assure you that I shall not rest until I have a semi-respectable 'trucker'. Well I will rest, but even then I'm on the job. And that's what it's all about.

1 comment: